Monday 17 August

I’m re-issuing this one as I am not sure that it got out there! I’ve added some recent news.

Last weekend was a real humdinger! We celebrated the patronal feast at all Masses but the 11am mass was the main one. We had Hispanic choir and instrumentalists join those from other Masses and sing alongside the Parish Choir. I had constructed a music menu that was truly bilingual. Despite the fact that there was some obvious misunderstanding s in the worship aid the whole thing was a great success. I had to play a further Mass while all others went over for the Barbecue. I loved the irony that on a day in which celebrate a saint who said to his killers ‘turn me over, I’m done on this side’ we celebrate with a bbq! I was able to join them after the Mass as it was still going strong.

I remained during the afternoon to catch up on some admin. In the evening I visited the Long Bar briefly and then home. Monday was a day off and I spent it at the beach until it started raining!

I spent much of Tuesday, after physio, composing new settings of the two psalms for the Assumption Masses. I then prepared various documents for the Cantors so that the evening session with them would be effective. In the evening I responded to information from one of my choir that Publix was doing a promotion on cider and root beer. Needless to say I was attracted by the smell of a bargain!

On Wednesday we had a Liturgy Meeting in which I was able to introduce some ideas for a bereavement service I had toured in Hallam. Following this we had a staff lunch with great food provided. We usually celebrate staff birthdays at this gathering but they had forgotten my own!

During the afternoon I visited a local music store to check out equipment for a local funeral home.

On Thursday, after physio, I popped in for a funeral and then went home. It rained again.

Today was a day off but I spent most of it in the apartment catching up on some correspondence and washing/ironing. In the evening I went in for the Vigil of the Assumption. The weekend would be a long one as in addition to the usual weekend Masses there were also Assumption Masses on Saturday at 8am and 12.15pm. I would need to get some good sleep tonight.

Saturday was a hard day with the predictable addition of Assumption Masses. The midday one was very poorly attended and one would have to ask why we scheduled it.

It was good to remember Bill Hayward by playing his ‘Assumption’ at the end of each Mass. He has recently been re-admitted to hospital with a lung infection.

Sunday was as usual but some cantors were away so I had to do their role as well! It would seem that my meditations after communion are going down very well and leading folk to prayer. I tend to select a phrase from the homily and either improvise a sung piece on it or select some thing which picks up on it. On my way home I dropped into Goodwill and bought some more surround speakers, a digital photo frame and some candles.

On Sunday afternoon in a moment of weakness I stopped by at the Long Bar arriving at the same time as some friends. So I stayed a little longer and then rushed home to cook a rib eye steak and chips before going out again for the evening Mass. Elizabeth the young violinist had arrived early so having prepared the various instrumental parts she was to play I gave her a lesson in improvisation.

I was so tired that I went home and watched a film and then sleep came upon me.

It was great to wake up at 9am on Monday morning, my day off. By 9.30am I was on the beach and stayed till around 1.30pm. It was very sunny at around 93F. Then I called in for the first time at Cigar City Brewery. I had visited the BrewPub with Jenie Lismore but this was much closer. After one thirst quencher I went to Best Buy to get some speaker wire and then returned to Goodwill to see if the remaining Onkyo surround speakers were still available. They were thankfully.

I was home by 4pm to receive messages from Steve & Carol from UK. I nipped out for more thirst quenchers at Charan’s Bar. In fact I only had two and returned to the apartment to see Chelsea lose to arsenal in the Charity Cup Final. My UK neighbour Andrew had already ruined my enjoyment of the Man City game by telling me the score … and it wasn’t good news!

In the evening I settled down with a cider and more rib eye steak ‘n’ chips. Good night!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s